Time to untie the knots: the WHO reform and the need of democratizing global health
17 May 2011
Statement coordinated by Medico International
The People's Health Movement reports: "Health is a common good that demands collective responsibility. Instead, structural violations of the right to health are produced by the dominant market dynamics and the uncontrolled influence of profit-driven transnational corporations, supported by the policies of international financial and trade institutions - the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank and the World Trade Organization.
Global Alliance for Chronic Diseases Research Calls
05 May 2011
the Global Alliance for Chronic Diseases (GACD) has launched its first call for research proposals.
WHO global forum: Addressing the challenge of noncommunicable diseases
27 April 2011, Moscow, the Russian Federation
The WHO Global Forum will bring together a wide group of stakeholders to share views and experiences to date on the challenges and opportunities in noncommunicable disease prevention, treatment and control. Global Forum participants will identify and commit to priority actions to strengthen global action to prevent and control NCDs.
Live webcasts of the forum can be viewed at http://who.telemarker.ru/
Big Pharma backs deal to boost flu pandemic readiness
18 April 2011
(Reuters) - Virus samples will be shared globally in exchange for vaccines produced from them under a landmark deal to improve preparedness for a flu pandemic, diplomats at the World Health Organization said on Saturday.
Forum on UK and EU Policy on Trade in Health, Agriculture and Food7 June 2011
Organized by Global Health Europe and partners
Wednesday 22 June 2011, 9.00 am - 5.00 pm
EC Representation Office, Europe House, 32 Smith Square, London SW1P 3EU
The Forum will take a multi-sectoral approach and will provide an opportunity for a wide participation by academic, business and civil society representatives to engage in dialogue on critical issues concerning the global health impact of policies relating to trade in health services and pharmaceuticals; and trade in food and agriculture. A major part of the day will be structured around group discussion sessions.
- WHO and the European Commission agree future common action in key areas
- Call for Applications for the Summer School "European Health Care and Social Systems in Transition
- Indian pharma firms, NGOs oppose EU free trade deal
- Public hearing on the implemetation guidelines for the WHO Global Code of Practice on the international recruitment of health personnel
- European Parliament passes resolution on reducing health inequalities
- Africa’s Aids patients biggest losers if India/EU drugs deal sails through reports The East African
- First meeting of the European Health Policy Forum
- Consultation in the European Region on the Prevention and Control of Noncommunicable Diseases now available for comments
- DG SANCO: Renewed Commitment of Stakeholders to Combat Overweight and Obesity-Related Health Issues
- MEPs approve laws to curb counterfeit drugs
- Hungary to push healthcare 'tourism' at EU helm